Friday, July 3, 2020

Dressy Overalls?


Hello Readers. How are you doing? Are you OK? I hope so. I am trying to stay up to date and informed but also not over-load on all the bad news in the world. Its a tough balance. I am also sewing to stay sane. So, let's talk about that.

This dress was fine. It was in good shape and would have been great for Easter Sunday. (If we had gone to church. Thanks Corona!) It fit pretty well but it showed a lot more cleavage than I was comfortable with. It has been hanging on my refashion rack waiting for me to get inspired.

I finally figured out what I wanted to make. I started by separating the skirt from the bodice. I just unpicked a lot of stitches to open the waistband and made sure that I did not cut the zipper. I unpicked the stitches around the zipper and left the zipper intact. 

This is what I had to work with. I started working on the skirt piece.

I spread the fabric flat and used a pattern to make some shorts. I used the bottom hem of the skirt as the hem of my shorts. That saved time. I didn't really need to make a waistband either. Why?

I was going to attach the shorts to the bodice of the dress. That would be the waistband.

When I connected the 2 pieces I put the zipper in the back of the shorts.


I had a cute pair of overalls. I have been wanting a pair of overalls for a while. These are a little fancier than denim but still loose around the waist. That is key after all the Corona snacking I did.

I was comfortable and pleased with the final result. I always liked this floral fabric but the overalls seemed less dressy than the dress. And since we are all at home I am not dressing up much. A shirt underneath took care of the cleavage problem.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

8 comments:

KD said...

Wow- What a great idea! A very pretty romper! I am going to try that with some floral fabric in my stash. Thanks as always for sharing your creative ideas!

Lynn said...

That is adorable! I would not have thought there was enough fabric in the skirt to make shorts, but they look great!

Unknown said...

Great idea, I love it!!!

I Can Work With That said...

Thank you for the comments. I love hearing from you! This skirt was really full, it gave me enough fabric to make the shorts. Overalls seem to fit my "stay-at-home" lifestyle better than the dress did.
Chickie

Mother Deer said...

This is really clever and the fit is very flattering. Great job!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks so much for the comment Mother Deer!
Chickie

Liochka said...

so nice !!! Bravo ! I love it

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Liochka! I think I have enough fabric left to make a matching mask.
Chickie