Friday, July 12, 2019

Skirt to Over-Alls

Hello Readers. I almost gave this plain black skirt away because it was too long and too boring! It was a nice weight knit fabric so I kept it in hopes I would think of something more fun to do with it. And I just got an idea!

There wasn't anything wrong with the skirt. It just wasn't very exciting. And it was clearly too long for me.

I decided to make a straight skirt from the top of this black skirt.  That way I could keep the waistband. That would save me loads of time. I took a little off each side and gave it a new hem. The original skirt flared out at the bottom. I determined the length of my new skirt by cutting it off above that.
I used that fabric at the bottom though. I cut 2 squares from the center of that extra fabric.

I used the squares to make the front and back "bibs". I used some more of the extra fabric to make the shoulder straps I needed. 

I had the buttons in the button stash. I chose black to keep it simple. I didn't want to worry if the buttons clashed with my shirt. With these plain buttons I can wear any shirt.

Even a wild purple floral shirt.

The back looks a lot like the front. The bib is just a little smaller.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
***Year End update-  I love black skirts. Can you have too many? I will never believe that's true.

No comments: