Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Blue and White Dress

Hello Readers. I am a sucker for a blue and white pattern. A lot of my house is blue and white and when I see clothes with blue and white I am bound to like them. That is what happened when I saw this little dress.

This dress was great but the top of it was too tight. A gallon of Crisco and a crow-bar wouldn't get me in there. I really loved that skirt though, and it fit great. I decided to remove the part that didn't fit. I had this light blue shirt to wear with the skirt. I just needed to remove the teeny-tiny lace top. I think if something doesn't fit, you can cut it off and work with what you have left.
 

First, I cut the top off. Next, I turned the lace edge under and stitched it down. Guess what I had....a lumpy mess of a waistband. It was not pretty. I think if its ugly, cover it up, no one needs to know it's there.

Here is my cover up idea. This ribbon was a great match for the skirt and it was in the load of sewing stuff my mother-in-law gave me recently. (Big thanks to her!) I stitched the ribbon over the lace edge at the waistband. It covered the lumpy lace waistband and gave the skirt a nice pop of color that accented the flowers in the skirt.

The dress had a zipper that I cut in half when I cut the top off the dress. I zipped it down, and then cut it. I tucked the cut ends under and stitched them down when I stitched the lace waistband down. The ribbon covers it all.

That's all folks. I was done in no time.

I didn't want to waste the pretty lace top. But what could I do with it?
I decided to use the shoulder piece as straps to make a bralette. You know those cute bras that women wear under clothes when they know their bra straps might peak out. I used a zig-zag stitch to connect the straps to a very simple strapless bra.

The criss-cross straps in the back are cool nice too.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 ***Year End update- I loved this skirt and shirt together. The top is perfect under low-cut things. All of these are winners to me.

No comments: