Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Using Dye and Cleaning It Up

Hello Readers. I love using dye to freshen up or change a piece of clothing. It is easy to do and very effective. It can be intimidating if you have never used dye. Someone asked me recently how I used it in the washer, did it leave a mess behind, and how did I clean up the washer after? Read on to find out more.


I loved this floral dress but it wasn't a nice crisp white anymore. It was a little yellowed from the wash. (Maybe because we have hard water in our town?) It was in great condition but it didn't look its best anymore.


I put it in my top loader washing machine with this bottle of dye instead of soap. There are directions on the back of the bottle about how much dye you need. I usually just set my washing machine for a small load and use HOT water.

You can buy this kind of dye at craft and fabric stores. It is available online too.

Here is how the dress came out. The gray made the dress look so much more luxurious and expensive. Somehow the color made the fabric look richer and higher quality.


After dying the item, I run a rinse cycle to get the extra dye out of the dress (As directed.) There is usually some dye splatter left in the washing machine after I do this. I use a bathroom spray with bleach and spray it inside my washing machine and wipe it down with paper towels. I try to make sure to spray in all the nooks and crannies. The bleach in the cleaner makes the dye disappear right before my eyes. Then I run a large load of whites, like towels or sheets with bleach to flush out the whole machine, and that's it.

I didn't get paid to endorse this cleaner, I just actually use it.

After that my washing machine is good as new. I never have any problems with the dye getting on other clothes when I clean the washing machine out like this. I hope this helps you if you decide to use some dye on a project.
Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- I don't think I wore this dress again yet. And I still use bleach to clean my washer after I use dye.

No comments: