Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Denim Shirt

Hello Readers. I thought it was going to be warmer and more Spring-like so I made a short sleeved shirt. (This was kind of foolish because the cold frigid weather came back with all it's windy vengeance.) I like how the shirt turned out so keep reading.


This was my starting point. This denim shirt was handed-down to me from my sister-in-law. (Thanks J.) The shirt is great but it doesn't fit very well. I really liked it and I thought it would go with anything it just needs a better fit.


I started by removing the wrist cuffs. (I'm sure they have a real name but it escapes me.) It was easy to take them off. I used a seam ripper and picked out the stitches. I saved them and cut the sleeves shorter. I reattached the cuffs onto the short sleeves. It made a little puffy short sleeve with a fitted cuff at the end.

  I stitched over the old seam marks so it looks like they have always been there.

I liked the short sleeves. They have a nice feminine look that I really liked. I made the body a bit more fitted. My plan was to make a belt of some kind out of the cut off parts. That didn't work out. There just wasn't enough fabric to do what I wanted to do.

I decided to use some old jeans to make a long belt or sash to tie around my waist. I wanted to cinch in the waist but I wanted the belt to match the shirt. This belt is very close to the same color, it's close enough for me. The jeans had some spandex in them so the belt has a bit of stretch and is very comfortable. The weight of the material made a nice sturdy belt too.


I wore this shirt to a great place in Berryville, VA called Cordial Coffee. My daughter took me out for waffles and some GREAT espresso. If you are in that area, make a stop. It was delicious!


There was this amazing coffee roasting machine in the lobby. I think it was a roasting machine. It had a pipe that went up the chimney and I was not allowed to touch it.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- I ended up wearing this shirt often but tucked in. I kept the belt though, because I liked that too.






No comments: