Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Pashmina Shirt

Hello Readers. My sweet sister-in-law gave me a few scarves. (Thanks J.) I liked this slate color very much, I looked around on Pinterest to see what I could do with scarves. I liked the idea of making a top.


This scarf had such pretty floral designs on each end. I wanted to keep it and the fringe intact as much as possible.


I cut the scarf in half and used a well-fitting T-shirt as a guide. The scarf is much too long so I marked where the shoulders and arm holes would be. There won't be any difference between the front and the back of this new scarf-shirt. 


I put the finished sides facing each other and used my sewing machine to connect the sides down the body of the shirt. I left openings for my arms. The finished edges of the scarf mean the armholes/sleeves are done already. You can see the edge of the sleeve here.


 I also connected the two pieces of the scarf where the top of the arms/shoulders would be. The scarf folded in on itself and that gave me a lining of sorts and made a nicely finished neckline. I cut off the excess. Below, is the inside view of the neckline. I left about 3 inches of "lining" inside, front and back.


Here is the finished top. It's a nice loose fitting top, it doesn't have any stretch to it so it has to be loose to get on and off. The loose fit will be nice for Thanksgiving. I could eat 2 big dinners and a whole pumpkin pie and still be comfortable. (I love pumpkin pie.) I think I just found my new holiday shirt!


This shirt is so soft and cozy, and I love the fringe. 


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.


No comments: