Hello Readers. I found this dress at a thrift store for $1 so I decided to bring it home and see what I could do with it. It was a little dumpy and shapeless. I didn't like the green and white color scheme. But it was in great shape and light weight for warm weather.
I thought a change to light blue would look better. The polyester blend of this dress didn't absorb much dye as you can see from the picture on the right. I wanted more of a change.
I dyed the dress again with a darker blue. It was for denim so I thought it would be pretty dark.
It came out darker and toned down the green. I liked it better than the light blue. The pattern is more subtle. I cut off the bottom 4 inches of the dress. I had a use for that cut off fabric. I folded the raw edge down and made a long narrow strip of fabric that was about 1 inch wide.
I used this buckle I found in my button stash to make a simple fabric belt. I couldn't believe how well it matched and it has been unused for years and years. I think it was from my mother's sewing stuff.
Here is my new finished dress. The belt fixed the shapeless middle of the dress. It didn't need major alterations. It just needed to be a bit shorter, and cinched in the middle.
Hats. The best cure for a bad hair day.
Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.