Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Using a Vintage Pattern

 Hello Readers. I made this wrap dress using a vintage pattern from 1952. It was a wrap dress and I loved that it would be adjustable and always fit. I found some bargain fabric on sale and got to work. 

Before and after.

I found this fabric half price and bought all that was there. It had cute shoes and handbags all over. It was so inexpensive I thought it was a great choice to try this new pattern. If I really messed up, at least I wouldn't have spend that much.

I ironed and cut out my paper pattern pieces.
 
I ironed and cut out my fabric pieces.
 
It was at this point I realized that I did not have enough fabric. Or at least I did not have as much fabric as the pattern called for. I cut out the front and back pieces. I was supposed to cut out 3 skirt pieces but I was only able to cut out 2. I thought I could still make the dress and have a less full skirt. That is what I hoped anyway.
 
I held pieces up to me and tried them on as I sewed to see if things looked right. This front piece was going to get ties and it would wrap around behind my back. It seemed to go together well. I was glad I put this together with less skirt fabric than it said. The skirt was very full.

All the edges of this dress were finished with bias tape. I chose black. 

This was a fast and easy way to finish the dress. 

My dress was almost finished. I waited until the end to decide on length. I cut off about 6 inches and hemmed it. I also added 2 buttons at the waist to close the dress.

Here is an inside look at the inside of the dress. The front of the dress ties behind my back. The back wraps around the front of me and connects to stay closed.

I was able to add pockets to the front of the dress. They are hidden by the over skirt. It all kind of blends in because of the wild print.
 
  The buttons have a tied elastic to keep them closed instead of button holes. I did this because the to ends did not meet to make a traditional button and button hole. I could have used a tie in the front made of bias tape but I didn't want a tie closure in the front.

This dress was so fun. I was really glad I made it. I don't think it needed a third skirt panel. It is really full with only 2. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- This dress was so fun to make and it is adjustable at the waist so it always fits well. I added tights and a long sleeve shirt under it this winter.





 
 



 

 

 
 
 



No comments: