Friday, April 7, 2023

Skirt From a Quilt

 Hello Readers. I think spring has finally sprung in my part of the world. There are flowers, trees are budding, I saw a bee today. We made it through winter. Before it gets too hot, I wanted to use a quilt for an upcycle project. It has taken me a while to find a quilt, that was not a family heirloom, that had colors I liked and was in good shape.

Before and after.
 
This quilt was perfect for this project. It had a lot of pretty colors and I loved the scalloped edge.
 
I used a skirt that fit well as a pattern. I chose a very simple A-line shape because the quilt was thicker than most fabrics. It was a little stiff too. A simple shape would work best. 
 
I had 2 skirt pieces and I was ready to put them together. I put the right sides together and stitched along the edge. I used a serger but a zigzag stitch would work too. I only sewed the bottom half of one side so I could sew in a zipper.

I used my serger on the cut edge at the waistband to control fraying, (You could use a zigzag stitch if you want.). I decided to use that lacey white strip as my waistband.

I turned the serged edge under and stitched it down with my sewing machine.
 
 I put a zipper in at the side so I could get the skirt on and off. 
 
I liked how the skirt turned out. But why did I wear that shirt with it? I don't like that at all.
 
 Do over? I'm not sure about this combo either. Maybe I need to make a matching top? Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- I liked this quilt skirt. It is fun and the scalloped hem is the best.




 

2 comments:

KD said...

Very pretty! The colorful floral print says spring, and the quilting says it's cool, not summer yet. Perfect timing!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks KD! It was a fun change to sew it up. It did break a couple needles though.
Chickie