Wednesday, January 18, 2023

The Doggie Sweatshirt Refashion

 Hello Readers. Christmas has passed but one of the gifts I gave my daughter was a sweatshirt from sparkpaws.com (Not an ad. I just liked the shirts.) I loved that they made sweatshirts for dogs that matched their human. But I miss judged the size of little Gordon. And he couldn't get his front legs into the shirt.

I added the dark blue strip of fabric on each side of the doggie sweatshirt so that Gordon would have more breathing room. 

Gordon did not really understand why I was taking photos but he was too big to get his sweatshirt on. This photo is from Christmas morning and I knew I could send the shirt back to the company and get a different sweatshirt. But I really wanted to try and fix it myself.

 
I have already used this sweatshirt dress in other projects so I cut some of it off for this dog refashion.
 
I cut 2 narrow strips of fabric. 
 
I sewed the strips into each side. I had cut the seam open under each sleeve and then stitched the blue fabric in using my serger. A zigzag stitch would work for this too. 
 
Here is a look inside at the seams. It was pretty easy sewing. I tried to follow the angle of the shirt where it curved around the belly area. 
 
Gordon wasn't thrilled with being photographed but I wanted to show how cute the sweatshirts are together.
 
Once Gordon was allowed to relax on the sofa you could really see how much he liked the sweatshirt. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. Or your dog!
 
 ***Year End Update- Gordon is still wearing this sweatshirt. He has short fur and gets chilly.
 

 

 

 

 







No comments: