Friday, January 20, 2023

Change a Shapeless Dress

 Hello Readers. It was also shapeless and just kind of blah. It was made of cozy sweatshirt material so I thought it had potential to be cozy. I thought it just needed a little reshaping. 

Before and after.
 
If you have trouble sleeping at night, just look at this dress. It will put you straight to sleep. The shape and length are not doing anything good for me and while I do like navy blue... the color is not very thrilling either.

I thought this dress needed a defined waist. It would give it more shape. I also thought a 2 piece dress would be more modern. And I could wear the pieces separately. The dress is a little wider than the orange skirt. I could use that extra fabric from the sides later.

I decided to use navy blue elastic. I was going to make a visible waistband. I thought it would kind of look like a belt and break up all the stripes. The navy color would match the sleeves too. 

I cut the dress in half based on the length I wanted the skirt to be. I wanted to add the elastic waistband to the top of the skirt. I made the elastic into a circle based on my waist size. I used a zigzag stitch to connect the ends of the elastic.

The new waistband brings in the waist and gives the whole look more of an hourglass shape. I thought that would be more flattering. The new look is not more "dressy" but that is OK, I didn't want it to be dressed up, I just wanted it to be less shapeless.

I made a small waistband for the shirt from the scraps I had left when I made the skirt. When I wear it this way the elastic waistband is hidden by the shirt. 

Here is a close up of the new shirt. I really like the cropped length. The stripes change direction in the waistband and it breaks up the stripes a little. 
 
I like the navy blue waistband on the skirt too. This was an easy refashion project but I really liked the results. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
 
 
***Year End Update- This outfit is like a big blue sweatshirt so of course I love it.
 










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. Now I can take those dime a dozen thrift dresses with a nice print and make something I’ll love to wear!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comment. I love sharing ideas. And I love thrifted dresses too.
Happy sewing to you!
Chickie