Friday, January 6, 2023

Mother of the Bride Part 2

 Hello Readers. I am starting 2023 off with a mix of refashions that have caught my imagination. Today is a post about what was left from a December refashion. This was a mother-of-the-bride dress from David's Bridal. I loved the sage green but it was kind of matronly and boxy and much too long. 

Before and after I shortened the dress. I altered the jacket and wore it separately. 

Let's focus on the jacket. It was so pretty. The beading was gorgeous. The sleeves were an unflattering length that I could not push up. The jacket also had no fasteners so it had to stay open. The fabric was stiff and it gave the jacket a boxy cube shape. The size was right, maybe I could change the shape a bit. 
 
This was my inspiration, although my jacket doesn't look like this. The elastic at the sleeves and the matching tank/cami under the shirt are what started today's whole refashion idea.
 
I wanted to ad elastic to the cuffs so I could push the sleeves up. It would look better and make the jacket look less formal. I used beige elastic that blended with my skin tone so it wouldn't show. 

I used my sewing machine to connect the two ends of the elastic. It could also be sewn by hand. The elastic just needs to be connected into a loop.

I thought I might want to close the jacket so I added one of these tiny snaps. 

I had to sew this on by hand. I hate hand sewing but you gotta do what you gotta do. 

The jacket can stay closed now but it does hide some of the beading.

I like the jacket open and I wore it with a matching tank. It is sort of a blouse-jacket. The pushed up sleeves change the look for the better.Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 
***Year End Update- To be honest I have not worn this jacket again. I still like it, I just haven't worn it.












No comments: