Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The Velvet Cape Part 2

 Hello Readers. I am back with more of this velvet cape. I originally got this in the mail from Amazon. I didn't order it, it was sent to me by mistake. (They didn't want it back and acted like I was crazy when I reported it. So, thanks to Amazon, I guess.) I used most of the cape to make a dress but I still had the top of the cape left over. What should I do with that?

Before and after.

 
This is the dress I made from the cape. I turned out well enough but there was a lot of cape leftover.
 
I had the whole top of the cape leftover but it was pretty thin and lightweight. What if I lined it with something?
 
I had this red, white and black LLR dress. It was too small for me so it has been sitting and waiting to be used for it's fabric. Today is the day!
 
When I was done with the dress I cut the extra fabric away from the cape and I had a short velvet cape, it was ready to wear, but it would be nicer if it was lined.
 
I cut the skirt open and spread the cape on top. I thought the skirt would be similar in shape and size to the cape. And it was! I used the cape as a pattern to cut the skirt into a matching lining piece. I sewed them together with the right sides facing each other. Then I turned the pieces the right way out.
 
I used a second piece of fabric to make the lining of the hood. I used the velvet hood as a pattern for the lining. I stitched it to the hood along the edge with the right sides facing each other, then I connected the lining pieces to each other inside the cape.
 
The lining made the cape more fun and added a layer of warmth. 
 
My new cape is so much fun! I don't know if I needed it but I really like it!  And if I have a super hero emergency, I am ready. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 
***Year End Update- This cape was very handy at Halloween because my youngest decided 5 minutes before walking out the door that he really wanted a cape. And I was ready!
 


 

 

 

 

 


No comments: