Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Bell Sleeves to Balloon Sleeves

 Hello Readers. I have been trying to really use all the items on my refashion rack. I save pieces and parts from projects along with clothes from swaps and thrift stores on a clothes rack in my sewing room. Sometimes items sit for quite a while. This outfit is all from things waiting on the rack and it was time for them to come out and have a moment in the sun. 

 
Before and after. 
 
 
This sweater was a hand-e-down from my daughter. She is taller than me so she gives me things she doesn't want anymore. I likes the statement sleeves but bell sleeves are tough when your arms are short like mine. This sweater probably fit her perfect because her arms are longer than mine are.
 
 
Both of these pieces really needed some elastic. Let's start with the sleeves of this black top. I decided to make the sleeves into balloon sleeves. I cut the tiniest hole in the hemmed part of the sleeve, on the inside. 
 
 I threaded elastic through the hole and around the end of the sleeve. 
 
 
I connected the ends of the elastic with my sewing machine. The elastic will keep the puffy sleeve on my wrist instead of having the long sleeve hang over my hands. Look, I can use my hands!!
 
 
The skirt is part of a skort I refashioned last summer. The skort had biker shorts under it and I had been wanting a pair of biker shorts. I cut this skirt piece off the shorts and I loved those shorts a lot. (Still do!) But the skirt was leftover with no waistband. 
 
 
The skirt needed a new elastic waistband. I had some ugly black elastic I could use. It's OK if its ugly, no one will ever see it. 
 
 
I measured my waist and connected the ends of the elastic with my sewing machine. Then I marked where the sides and middle of the front and back should be. I wanted the skirt to be evenly gathered around the elastic waistband. I clipped it in place.

 
I connected the elastic with a zigzag stitch all around the elastic...
 
 and then flipped the elastic inside the skirt and stitched all the way around again. This method uses less fabric than making a traditional casing for the elastic. 
 
 
 It looked great to me when I was done. 
 
 
I wanted to go for a monochromatic look with this outfit. But is it too much black? I like black so you can let me know what you think in the comments. I tried to break it up a little. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Year End Update- This sweater and skirt are so soft, and black is always easy to wear. This was a great easy outfit to throw on and it always works.


 

No comments: