Saturday, January 21, 2023

Recovering a Stool Cushion

 Hello Readers. Sometimes the fabric on a piece of furniture isn't what you want. The color can be off or the style is not working in the room. Some pieces of furniture are easy to recover. This stool was fine as it was but I wanted to make it more fun and give it a punch of color with some bold fabric. 

This is such a fun look. 
 
I mean look at these stylish women! It's fabulous fabric for a sewing room.
 

This stool came with a dressing table that was given to me. I love it! I just wanted to change the fabric to something that fit my sewing room a little better. 

I didn't want to refinish the whole table. I just wanted to update the fabric. This kind of stool is easy to work with. I just needed to remove the cushion piece from the stool. 

I just needed a screw driver to remove the screws that held the cushion in place. It was easy to remove. 

When all the screws were removed, the base and the cushion came apart easily. 

This floral fabric was just taped onto the stool. I thought it would be stapled or nailed in place. I decided to remove it and see what was under it. 

Under the fabric was this cream colored brocade vinyl. This was very securely attached to the cushion piece so I left it there and I was ready to start attaching my fun new fabric. 
 
I put my fabric right-side down on the floor. Then I put my cushion piece on top of the fabric, cushion side down. I made sure I had 2-3 inches of excess fabric all around the cushion so I could attach the fabric to the back of the cushion. 
 
I used a very basic staple gun to attach my fabric. The staples will hold the fabric in place over a long time of use. I like to staple my way around the piece so that I get a nice smooth look to the fabric on top. 
 
When I was done stapling the sides of the fabric it was time to do the corners. I folded the fabric under a few times so that the corners would be tucked in tight. Then I stapled the fabric down with a few staples to hold the corners firmly in place. 
 
The new fabric was all in place and stapled down. It only took a little while to put this all together. Now I needed to put it back on the stool. 

It was easy to reattach the cushion because the holes for the screws are still in place I put the base on the cushion piece and centered it so the holes lined up with each other.  I just put the screws in and started turning the screwdriver. 

I thought the new fabric looked great. The colors looked great with the dark wood.

It works well with the table...
 

 And I can move it around my sewing area. This is such an easy project, and it uses small amounts of fabric. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- This stool is fabulous and it is in my sewing room. I love it.






No comments: