Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Making Wrap Shorts

 Hello Readers. I have been wanting to make some wrap shorts for a little while now. I finally got it done. This fun summer fabric from San Diego Sewn was the perfect choice for this make. *Not a paid ad, I just thought they had cute fabric.

Before and after.

Look at this cute fabric! Look at these lovely women. They are glowing, thriving, relaxing, undisturbed, just living the dream. I bought 2 yards of this because that was all there was available at the time. I have seen online that it was restocked.
 
My first step was to wash this fabric in my washing machine before I did any sewing. I dried and ironed it and got to work.
 
I used this pattern piece from a previous shorts making project where I made my own pattern. I made this pattern based on my measurements. I used it because I just needed a guide to cut out my pieces for these new shorts.

 
I cut all my pieces and extended the sides so they would be wide enough to wrap around my hips.
 
I connected the 4 pieces to make the shorts. This was a fast project and I was able to get this done quick and easy. Now I had to make the waistband ties.  
 
The waistband ties are what keeps the shorts up and holds them together. 
 
Here is a look at the tie in the back. This is the narrow strip of fabric I made for this waist tie. It is the waistband of the front part of the shorts. The front of the shorts wrap around the body to tie in the back. It is not going to be visible when the shorts are worn. The back of the shorts will wrap around and tie in the front.
 
Here is a look at the front of the shorts. The front is tied in back and I am holding the back piece open so you can see how the front wraps around and then is covered by the back piece.
 
When The back of the shorts are tied in the front the sides overlap by about 6-8 inches and cover everything they should.
 
Here is a quick and clumsy demonstration of me tying on the shorts. 
 
These shorts were so fun. I love how they turned out. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
*Year End Note From Chickie- I loved these shorts. I want to make pants in the same style! They always fit and the fabric was so fun too.
 

 

 

 

 
 
 

 

 







3 comments:

jenny_o said...

Those are neat! I've never seen anything like them before. Love the fabric too.

KD said...

I love your wrap-around shorts! They look to be very practical for outdoor activities, and just dressed up enough to also be good for indoor gatherings. And,they seem easy enough to hack from shorts patterns I already own. No zippers,no buttons or snaps. I plan to make some of these for our August trips. Thanks for this great idea!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comments. these were so fast and easy to make. I highly recommend them.
Happy sewing to you!
Chcikie