Tuesday, July 4, 2023

The Reversable Wrap Dress That Put Up A Fight

 Hello Readers. I thought I could make a fun reversible wrap dress. I chose the wrong fabric and I messed it big time, and I managed to save it at the end. I will tell you all about it. 

 This fabric was so cute, I knew I wanted a dress out of it. As usual I barely had enough and I messed up along the way.

I used the 1356 pattern from Simplicity. I thought it would be so great because it was reversible and it was a wrap style. It's like 2 dresses in 1 and it would always fit.

I cut out the pattern pieces. There was a front, a back and a belt piece. So far so good. 

I didn't realize that I was making a mistake here. The only way to fit the 2 dress pieces on the fabric was to turn them different ways. This means that the design will be upside down on one of these pieces. I can't believe I did not see this.

You can see the front images are upside down because of how I cut out the pieces. You can also see  mistake #2. I also cut out the same pieces from a pale pink lining fabric. I put them together and it was so bulky, I didn't think it looked good. The sewing themed fabric was heavier than it should have been for this pattern. I decided to take the lining out and try to keep the sewing fabric by itself. It was thicker and it wrapped around itself enough that I didn't think it would be see through.
 
I did a lot of cutting to get the lining out. I also may have said some bad words. 
 
The lining was out. I had the basic dress shape intact but I had to finish all the edges and stitch them down. 
 
I couldn't fix the upside down images so I decided to turn the dress around and wear it backwards. It looked better that way. 
 
This is how it looked from the back. The tie looks nice and the upside down fabric is mostly covered by the way it wraps around.
 
It turned out OK. I like it a lot. The fabric is so fun. And nothing is perfect. I can ignore the mistakes. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 
***Year End Update- This dress was a tough project but I love it. I wore it with layers in cooler weather. I also found a use for the lining in a later project.

 

 

 

 

 







No comments: