Friday, March 31, 2023

Making a Wrap Shirt

 Hello Readers. One thing I learned from Covid was that my life and my body are always changing. I wanted to make a top that would always fit me. A top that would adjust to my changing size and shape.

A wrap top would be the best.

A while back I recovered this stool cushion with this fabric. I had some left over. It was a weird L shape and there wasn't much of it. Could I make something to wear? I always try to use my scraps so I don't waste fabric.

Here is a close up. It's such a great design. The wild print is going to help me. 

I made the L shape into more of a square. You can see the new seams here. I didn't try to match the pattern to hide the seam, the wild print will hide the new seams well enough. I wanted a wrap shirt so I needed a front and back that were the same size and shape.

I made 2 equal pieces with 1/2 of an oval in each for the head hole. I used a sewing machine to connect the shoulder seams. If I had more fabric I would have made the top longer but as long as the 2 pieces are equal the shirt will fit well. (At this point I noticed that there was a JoAnn Fabric's logo on the edge of the fabric that I had to cut off.) I made sure my design was right side up on both pieces

I made sure my design was right side up on both pieces before I sewed the shoulders together. I didn't want a bunch of upside-down faces on one side of my shirt. If I had used a solid/stripes/polka dots, this wouldn't be something to consider. When I put it on the dress form I thought it looked really short. 

I was right, it was really short. This is all the fabric I had so I was going to have to keep going with it. My shirt will be a cropped length but you can make any length you want.
 
I didn't want to lose a millimeter by turning the edges under and I needed ties at the waist so I used bias tape to finish the edges.

The bias tape wraps around the edges to cover them. I sewed the bias tape around all the edges and the neck hole. I used extra long pieces at the waist that would be used to tie the shirt around my body. That might sound confusing...
 
Bias tape close up! The bias tape is like a... taco and the fabric is the filling. (And now I want tacos.)
 
Here is a better look at the whole shirt. The blue bias tape is a great finish for the sides and neck. I used the bias tape along the waist also. I made the bias tape at the waist so long that it hangs off the edges and it can tie around my waist. 

The shirt doesn't have closed sides. I create sides when I tie the shirt on myself. The ties from the front piece are tied in the back. The ties from the back piece are tied in the front as you can see above. The ties are adjustable so this shirt will always fit comfortably.

I wore the shirt over a simple straight skirt with a very high waist, that way the shirt is the star of the show. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- This top is so sweet. It's the best. I could never find it at the store. That is the beauty of sewing. It is fun and I love it.













4 comments:

KD said...

Clever! I am going to try this for myself. It seems that lining it with a different fabric would be straight forward, and either side could be worn on the outside. The 2 fabrics might need to complement each other, because the inside of the flutter sleeve might be visible when worn. This could be handy for travelling: folds flat, with 2 looks for one item. Thanks for posting!

I Can Work With That said...

That is a great idea!
Chickie

Kimberly said...

Such a nice Wrap Shirt, you did a great job in making a very unique and stylish top. Love the choice of fabric and the pattern is great too. You look stunningly gorgeous in that Wrap Shirt and skirt outfit. Love it.<3

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comment Kimberly!
Happy Sewing to you!
Chickie