Friday, December 17, 2021

Black Corduroy

 Hello Readers. It is cold outside and what is better in cold weather than corduroy. It is thick and warm. It's perfect right? I got this black corduroy dress at a swap and I knew it would be the makings of a great refashion. (And if you are counting this corduroy dress is the fifth refashion in honor of Dressember.org for this month.)

Before and after.

This dress wasn't perfect. It was shapeless and boxy. It didn't flatter me in any way. Honestly, it was pretty boring. That corduroy was really nice though. And black is always great. It goes with anything and no matter what your kid or dog smears on you it probably won't stain.
I cut the bodice off and separated it from the skirt. I kept the seam attached to the vest. That gave me a short vest and a big piece of fabric that was the skirt.

The vest seemed very short so I used a denim jacket to give me an idea of the length I would like. I knew I liked this jacket length so I knew it would be a good "pattern" to follow for lengthwhen I was making this new vest.

I cut some fabric from the bottom of the skirt so I could add it to the vest and make the vest longer. I used the center of the skirt so I could line up the opening and save myself some time.

I connected the additional fabric to the vest and I had the length I wanted. It opens down the middle, just as it should.

What about the big piece of fabric that was left over from the skirt part of the original dress? I wanted to make a skirt to go with the vest. I thought I had just enough leftover after the vest to make a new shorter skirt.

I didn't have enough fabric to make a casing so I had to sew the elastic waistband to the skirt and leave it visible. This elastic was not cutest but, it was black and I didn't have anything else I could use. I have been trying to avoid shopping all year and I have definitely run out of some supplies. 


The vest and skirt are much more fun and flattering than the old dress was.

My new corduroy suit is ready for wear. I really liked the new look. And I can break it up and wear the pieces separately too. It's like 2 for 1.

*Every December there is an organization that does a fundraiser to fight human trafficking. The organization is called Dressember. The challenge is to wear dresses or ties everyday this month to raise money. The funds go to help rescue and care for victims. This is a worldwide issue. Human trafficking is a billion dollar industry.  You can learn more at www.dressember.org

2 comments:

KD said...

This is a really nice set which could be casual or dressy. Black is a great color for the holidays, and carries over to the rest of winter. A two-piece dress seems to work well for me too. Nice job! Thanks for sharing!

I Can Work With That said...

KD! Thanks for the comment. I liked the fabric too. It should be warm in winter. At least I hope so.
CHickie