Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Dresses For December Part 2, The Jacket Dress

Hello Readers. It is time for the second dress refashion of December. I am focusing on dresses in honor of Dressember. You can go to Dressember.org to find out more about how they are fighting human trafficking around the world. I will give you a hint, it involves wearing dresses. (Or bow-ties.)
 
 
Today's dress started as a jacket or tunic of some kind. It was dress shaped and it was long enough on me to be a dress but it was open in the front. That isn't going to work as a dress. I had to sew it closed and I did it by hand so I didn't damage the buttons with my sewing machine. I don't enjoy hand sewing but this was easy and quick. I will have to put it on by pulling it over my head now that I sewed it closed but that's OK.
 
 
Now the front is closed all the way down from the neckline to the hem. That was much better but the dress is still too big and too baggy.

 
Here you can see how I made the sleeves and the sides of the dress a little smaller. I kept the original shape of the dress. You can see the high-low hemline, I left that the way it was too.
 
  
The dress was more flattering but still had a great relaxed fit and feel. The dress has no stretch so I had to leave it roomy enough to be easy to wear. (And get over my head when I put it on and take it off since it is permanently sewed shut.)
 
 
I really liked the comfortable loose fit of this dress, with tights and a jacket I was very cozy. My little guy decided to get in my staged photo op here. He wanted to check out that snowman.

 
But wait, there's more!
*****************************************************
The Pumpkin Snowman
I decided to use my Fall pumpkins for a Winter decorating idea. They were still in good shape, it would be a shame to throw them out.

 
I painted them white with some white primer. It was a flat white that covered the colors of the pumpkins really well. I went outside on the grass in case I spilled the primer. I let the pumpkins dry overnight.

 
I moved the pumpkins to the front porch and stacked them up. My pumpkins balanced really well but some hot glue would help secure them together even more. I added a hat and a scarf to make the snowman look more complete. He just needed a face. I used squeeze paint and drew right on the top painted pumpkin.

 
Here is my finished snowman. I am calling him "Bob". He's always looks cheerful when I come home.

 
Thanks for reading this post, I appreciate it.

2 comments:

mycardattic said...

Love it as a dress! It looks terrific on you! I also have a jumper/cardigan/dress? that is dress length, but only has buttons down to the crotch area :O you have just given me an idea, the only reason I didn't get rid of it, is, it is so beautifully soft (it almost feels like cashmere - although it isn't - and it's a nice shape), so I might just sew it up at the bottom ... now, why didn't I think of that simple solution?! This is why your blog is so great for me! Thank you! Hazel x

I Can Work With That said...

Hi, I hope your dress works out well too. Anything as soft as cashmere should be saved ffor sure.
Chickie