Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Diverting A Dye Disaster

Hello Readers. I love using dye to refresh and change up my clothes. Sometimes it all works out perfectly. The clothing takes the dye well and it looks amazing when I am done. Sometimes things just don't go my way. 


This faded orange sweater turned brown sweater was one of the good times. It turned out the color of dark chocolate. I would eat this sweater! It came out so good! It will be perfect for fall.

This brown dye did what it was supposed to do and I remembered to what I was supposed to do. That was to stir the pot on the stove continuously so the dye turned out even. 

 

 I had a few white shirts already so I decided to dye this white shirt into a light gray color. I would have more variety in my closet. What could go wrong? It was cotton so it should have been easy to dye.

 

I used this gray dye. I thought I would get a soft light gray color like the one on the bottle. 


That isn't what happened. I forgot to keep stirring the pot of dye so I got spots of color. The color also came out much darker than I wanted. This is not light gray. And it is all splotchy, it looks like part of a Halloween costume. Ugh!!


That's OK! I had these boxes of color remover sitting in my laundry room. I thought I should try to start over.

 

Most of the gray color went away but the shirt was not really white either. I was really wishing I had left the shirt alone.

 

I tried again with this dark blue denim dye. I stayed next to the stove and stirred the pot of hot water and dye continuously. I tried really hard to focus and not get distracted.

 

I was able to get an even blue color. I wear a lot of navy blue so I thought this would go with a lot of clothes. I narrowed the sides a bit so it would fit better.

 This navy color was better than the gray splotches but it isn't great. I wish I had left it alone. Why did I change it? It was cuter before. Oh, well.

 I also found this vintage Bermuda bag at a thrift store. (Only $2.99) I had one when I was young. This bag is a little yellowed from age. It was in great condition but the color was a little blah. 

 

 I took the cover off and dyed the cover blue with the shirt. It turned out fabulous! I love it so much. I hope I can make a few new covers for it eventually.

Did I learn any lessons? Keep stirring the pot or the dye won't be even. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh my gosh, those bags were so popular when I was in junior high! I wanted one so badly and my mom got me one but it had bigger handles than the ones my friends have, so I was disappointed! Lol. My mom made me some adorable covers for it. What fun. I like how the blue shirt turned out!

I Can Work With That said...

I showed my mom the bag right away. "Remember that purse I had when I was young?"
She thought it was funny I found one to replace the original.
I remember being upset that my stuff wasn't always the coolest too. So painful!
Thanks for the comment.
Chickie