Wednesday, June 24, 2020

The Peasant Skirt Dress

Hello Readers. It has been quite a while since I have gone to any clothes swaps or thrift stores. I have been trying to really get through my refashion stash. I have been stashing things for ages. It is nice to get to some of the things that have been sitting around waiting.

This skirt has been sitting around for a long time. I used the bottom tier of the skirt in a refashion a few years ago. I didn't think I liked what was left of the skirt but I saved it anyway. (I am really glad I did!)
This shirt caught my eye at a swap because it was striped. It was a simple cropped shirt. I didn't realize it was cropped. It is a little too short for me to wear with jeans because my mommy stomach might show and I keep that stretch-marked saggy mess hidden at all times. My belly button is wierd too. No one needs to see that.

I started by cutting that light blue lining and hemming it. It needed to stay hidden under the skirt. I also had to hem the skirt where it had been cut off. It was pretty easy.

I decided to pin the shirt to the skirt to prepare to connect the two pieces. I thought if I sewed them together the shirt would stay tucked in. (No visible mom tummy.)

I used my machine to connect the shirt and skirt. I tacked it down in 4 places around the waistband of the skirt.

You can see here how everything fit together.

I was finished and I had a great lightweight summer dress with a twirly skirt. I liked the skirt again at this shorter length. And that elastic waistband is awesome after all those quarantine snacks!

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself if you have time.
If you are busy going out and changing the world, the sewing can wait.

2 comments:

KD said...

Love it! Great combination of complementary prints!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks KD! I love mixing patterns.
Chickie