Friday, May 10, 2019

Why You Should Make Shorts From Baggy Pants

Hello Readers. Warm weather is here and that means I need to make some shorts. I wanted shorts with a higher waist to secure my tummy. (Maybe I need to do some sit-ups.) Either way I made some simple classic khaki shorts. I didn't have any and they match everything, right?


These khaki pants belonged to my daughter, who is taller than I am. The waistband is high enough to keep my mommy tummy covered. That's great but you can see there is a lot of extra fabric puddling up at my feet. The pants were loose, but that is perfect for making shorts.


I cut off most of the pant legs just to get them out of the way. I made the waistband fit better by making a new side seam on each side. I took out more fabric at the waist than I did in the leg of the shorts. I wanted the leg of the shorts to have room to move and I didn't want it to be tight when I sat down. If the shorts were too fitted around the thigh, they would be super tight when I sit down and my legs spread out. And they would ride up and give me a  wedgie that I would have to adjust whenever I got up. And that is so annoying. It took me a while to realize shorts needed to be looser in the leg than other pants, like jeans for example.
When I got the fit right, I hemmed the legs to a length I liked.


The long sleeved shirt was great but short sleeves would be better for this time of year. I made a t-shirt with cap sleeves by cutting off the sleeves. I also took some extra fabric out of the sides and made new side seams. I hemmed all the cut edges when I was done.


I admit, this is not a very exciting outfit.


This is a "mom relaxing at home" outfit. I was just sitting in the shade. My son was telling me all about the road he is building in the sandbox. He was taking it a lot more seriously than the guys who built my house, that's for sure.

The rest of my summer days will look a lot like this, I hope.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 *Year end update-I wore these shirts all summer. They were perfect. The shirt was great for work too.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, you used to write magnificent, but the last few posts
have been kinda boring? I miss your great writings.
Past few posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

I Can Work With That said...

Sorry Anonymous,
Some posts are more fun than others.
Chickie