Friday, September 15, 2017

The Cactus Pillow That Scared My Kids

Hello Readers. I really wanted to make a cute pillow for my daughter, she likes anything with cacti on it. I had this colorful, wool, zip-front sweater with a lot of green in it that I thought would make a cute cactus shaped pillow.
 I was wrong dear readers. So wrong.


I washed the sweater in hot water and dried it in the dryer on high. That caused the sweater to shrink a little and tightened the weave of the sweater. It is easy to cut and create new things with wool sweaters like this.
I cut out a cactus shape. The zipper is still down the front.


Here is my cactus shape. I eventually made the limbs a little shorter and stitched all the way around the edges. The raw edges were a little rough so that it would look like the needles of a cactus.
It was at this point my older son said it looked like a scarecrow reaching out to grab someone. 


I stuffed it with all of the cut off scarps and put it on my daughters bed along and I couldn't get the scary scarecrow idea out of my head. I asked my daughter what she thought. She said she hoped she didn't wake up in the night to see it leaning over her in a threatening manner. She also saw the limbs reaching out to get her. 


This was a fail with everyone but the dog, he seems unafraid of the scary pillow. The projects I make can't all be winners. And this pillow proves it. Oh, well.

No comments: