Friday, September 29, 2017

Mommy's Not Really Getting Dressed Today

Hello Readers. I know I am not the only mom that has trouble keeping up with everything I am supposed to do. I do not have it all together. I wish I could say that I got up with the sun everyday so that I could be awake, dressed, organized, and cheerfully ready to face the day. That sounds like the ideal and mature way to live but, it is not how I live.
I heard a term to describe clothes, "athleisure". Exercise clothes that are worn whenever, not just for working out. These kind of clothes are comfortable so, I usually sleep in my athleisure clothes. That way when my 2 year old son (Cute stick of dynamite.) wakes up early in the morning I am already sort of dressed. I can start the day a little bit ready to go. I am dressed enough to exercise, go to the play-ground, or go to the store if I really need to.  No one really knows what I am doing, (Wearing my pj's.) I could be on my way to the gym. 


If I can, I get dressed in real clothes for the day, but if I can't, the neighbors won't see me outside looking crazy. A problem arises when I can't find clothes to fit my very short arms.

Mom's in leggings and hoodies, my solution to crazy mornings.

I could have just cut the sleeves to the right length. But I wanted real long sleeves for the cooler days ahead. I turned the cuff over to see how much I wanted to take off. That pin is marking where I want to make my new seam.


I took the shirt off and stitched a new seam all the way around the sleeve. Then I cut off the excess fabric. I removed about 2" from each sleeve.


Here is the finished sleeve. The length is right and the cuff still looks nice and neat.


I fixed the sleeves of the jacket the same way. The wrist cuffs of this jacket have little thumb holes to keep my hands warm when I am outside. I was able to keep them intact on the cuffs. I removed about 3" of fabric from the jacket sleeves. 


 I could wear it now and use my hands. I like the little thumb holes too.


The shirt and the jacket both fit now and I am feeling the bright pink. I am ready to jog, or watch TV, or go to bed. No one knows for sure, and I'm not telling.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.


8 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

What a great idea!

Angel On The Edge said...

I've done this a couple of times on my son's school uniform jumper, as he chews it (yuk!). I call it a "cuff transplant". Basically I have a donor jumper and use the ribbing to cut a new cuff and attach......good to see how the professionals do it!!! Love your projects, xx

jenny_o said...

You crack me up with your commentary some days!

Thanks so much for showing how you shortened the sleeves with cuffs. I'm the same height as you so everything needs altered, including sleeves. I never would have thought to sew first, cut second, but it makes a lot of sense and will keep me from stabbing myself with all those pins :)

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Rozy Lass. Short arms made me get creative. Chickie

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Mary Treanor. Kids can make a lot of mending projects can't they? haha
Chickie

I Can Work With That said...

Hi jenny_o. I found if I sew first it stays in place better while I sew. Petite women have to do a lot of alterations don't they?
Chickie

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

This is the way I take up my jeans in order to keep the original hem! Hazel x

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Hazel,
I have heard of using that idea for jeans but it seemed difficult if the jeans were tapered. I want to try it on some straight leg jeans.
Chickie