Friday, September 22, 2017

A Shirt Skirt

Hello Readers. I have been sewing and refashioning when I can, as usual. It was and is with some success and some failure. Today's post is 50% success and 50% failure. 

I started with these two shirts. They were both in great shape but they were a little big. The gray T-shirt was too low in the front and the colorful top was a little too big all over.

I started with the colorful top. It had cute ruffles at the bottom. (Is it leopard print? I think it is, but I am not 100% sure.) I cut the arms and shoulders off. The body of the shirt will make a great skirt.

I used this wide black elastic as the waistband. I used a zigzag stitch to attach it to the shirt. It only took a few minutes.

The finished skirt looked like this. It was simple but it worked. That was good enough for me.

This is pretty good. I'll take it.

The gray shirt was too low and I wanted to raise the neck line. I thought if I gathered and overlapped the neckline it would cinch together. I figured this would raise the neckline up and it would fit better. I sewed it in place but when I was done, I didn't think the neckline was laying very flat.

I tried to attach these little snaps to distract from the wonky neckline of this shirt. They had little prongs on the back. I hit them with a hammer and the prongs attached and dug into the fabric. They seemed to help a little.

Well, the neckline did end up higher than it was before. The failure was that I didn't foresee that the gathering would just make the shirt cling to my chest in an obscene and tight manner. It was really not a good style for me. I was really uncomfortable with how much of my chest was being emphasized.

This is not very good. This is not very good at all.

So, the gray shirt was not working for me, but I really liked the skirt. I think when I wear it I will pick out a different top, like this simple black sweater. I found this cashmere sweater at a clothes swap and it was missing a button. I was going to replace all the buttons but when I looked inside there was a spare button. It was such a simple fix, and now I had a great cashmere sweater.

This works for me. 

Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.
And don't worry about occasional failures, they happen to everyone.


Lil said...

Have you tried wearing the shirt backwards?

Anonymous said...

Awesome skirt. Good to see what fails, too. Thank you!

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Lil, That is a great idea. I didn't think of that. You are very clever. Thanks for reading.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comment, I like to see what didn't work for others too. It helps me learn. Happy sewing to you!

jenny_o said...

I love that skirt, everything about it!

I've read (but not yet tried) putting a narrow elastic through the binding of a too-large shirt to draw the neck up to the proper size. Not sure if you could do this at this point or not, because taking the stitching out will likely leave visible holes. Maybe next time.

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny_o. This shirt was a total loss, but that is a good idea. I am sure to be fixing a T shirt sometime in the future.

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Cute . . . really cute! Thank you! Hazel x

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Hazel!