Wednesday, January 20, 2016

An Elephant Never Forgets

Hello Readers. It is a great day at my house. The perfect day to work on this cute shirt. From a distance you might think polka dots, right?


No, it's a herd of colorful elephants. I love elephants, I always have. And these guys are so cute. This blouse was at a clothes swap and I just had to try and keep them. The blouse was too big and I wasn't too sure about the bow tie around my neck. The worst part was the silky delicate fabric. I hate sewing this kind of material. It is so difficult to work with.


My solution was to add something to the fabric. I needed help to stabilize the layers. I found this hem tape in my sewing supplies. Would it work? Let's try it.


I pinned it in place and then did my stitching. It was like a dream. It was so much easier. I actually stitched down each side of the tape (to stop fraying) and trimmed the excess off. I took a couple inches off each side. It doesn't sound like much but it looked much better when I was finished.


I still don't know if I like the bow tie, but my daughter told me it was nice so I decided to leave it alone. It's cold so I threw on a sweater. It is loose and light weight and covers all the lumps and bumps that I don't want anyone to see. After the holidays and all the holiday eating, that can be very nice.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fabulous for yourself.

2 comments:

jenny_o said...

I think the bows are back in style again, aren't they? It looks good on there :)

Love the material too. Elephants! What's not to like?

I Can Work With That said...

I agree jenny_o. The bow grew on me too.