Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Resize a Thrifted Linen Top

 Hello Readers. I like to thrift for clothes that have nice fabric to re-make into things that work for me. I usually look for fabrics that are good quality and appeal to me. This linen tank top was great fabric and it had this beautiful lace design along the hem. 

 
 Before and after.
 
I loved the linen fabric and I like stripes too. The lace along the hem was very pretty. I didn't want to get rid of that. But the shirt was a bit big and much too low cut. I wanted to change that.
 
I cut the front of the shirt away from the back of the shirt. I needed them separate so I could re-cut a new shape. 
 
I positioned my pattern piece so that the hem of the shirt would stay intact. This is Simplicity Super saver 8035. I cut the top of the shirt in a different shape. 
 
Now, I had a new front and a new back to make my new shirt. 
 
I put the 2 pieces together with the right sides facing each other. I sewed new side seams to connect the front and back, I also sewed across the top of each shoulder strap. 
 
The shirt looked like this. I used bias tape to finish the neckline and armholes. It is inside the shirt but first I sewed it to the outside.
 
I sewed the open bias tape to the outside of the shirt. The bias tape adjusts well to the curve of the neckline and armholes. 
 
When I was done, I turned the bias tape in the shirt and sewed it again from the outside. This makes a nice neat finish to the shirt. 
 
I barely had enough to finish this shirt but it's good enough. Perfection is overrated. 
  
The shirt fit so much better. I don't know what I am doing with my hand in this picture but the shirt turned out great. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: