Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Saving Stained Silk

 Hello Readers. I love silk in the summer, it's so light and breathes well. That makes it comfortable to wear when it is hot and humid. This dress was a beautiful silk. I loved the soft material and the shade of blue. 

Before and after.

This dress seemed great but there was a problem. There was a faded spot. Maybe it came from bleach? I don't know. Originally I thought I could just shorten the dress but that spot was going to show. I needed another solution. 
 
I cut the bottom of the dress off. This was going to be a skirt. Was it long enough? It had to be. I hoped for the best. I thought I could add an elastic waist to this part of the dress and make a simple skirt.
 
Here is the top of the dress. I cut the faded spot out. I wanted the shirt to be long enough to tuck into the skirt so I kept it as long as possible. 
 
Here are my two pieces. The dress was going to be a 2 piece set. 
 
I made a hem at the bottom of the shirt piece. Silk is thin, delicate, and slippery. I don't like working with it or sewing with it, but I love to wear it. I made my hem and worked it out. 
 
I got some colorful elastic and made a waistband. You can see a bit of the faded spot on the skirt here. That will be covered by the elastic. (I hoped so anyway.)
 
I folded the shirt into loose pleats and sewed the elastic waistband to the top of the skirt. I used a zigzag stitch so that I could stretch the elastic and get the skirt on and off. I really liked the colorful elastic, it was a pop of color in the blue outfit. 
 
Thank you for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

No comments: