Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The Bandana Dress

Hello Readers. I wanted to make a dress from bandanas, just for fun. I saw one made by @_diydaisy on Instagram. I thought this would be a super easy sewing project. (Spoiler- It was not.) I had no pattern and was just running wild with no plan. That is usually how I operate in life and it usually works out, so please join me on this little sewing adventure.

 I needed a pile of bandanas. (I used 9 bandanas but I could have use 1 or 2 less as you will see later.) The more bandanas I used, the poofier and fuller the skirt would be.

I have been collecting bandanas for about a year. When ever I saw one at the thrift store, I would buy it and add it to my collection.
 
I sewed 3 bandanas with the right sides together. This will be the top of my dress. (It was 1 too many.)

I made another circle of 6 bandanas also with the right sides sewn together. This will be the skirt of my dress. (I could have used one or even 2 less here.)

I needed to sew the 2 circles together but they are obviously very different sizes.
 
  I used large stitches to gather the large circle of bandanas together to match the size of the smaller circle of bandanas. 

 I also used clips to hold the large gathered circle to the smaller circle. Now it will be easier to sew the 2 circles together.

Sometimes your sewing equipment will betray you. I had to take a break.
 
I realized that the whole dress was too big. The bodice (Pink.) was also too tall. I cut the top 4 inches off

Then I angled the bodice. It was just too wide. I sewed all that together and finished the edges.

This is where I was after all that. I didn't love it but I don't give up. I was going to finish this dress.
 
I needed sleeves. This purple bandana will be the last step. I cut it in half to make 2 sleeves. 
 
I liked the purple sleeves but this was very loose and big. I didn't think I would like this on me. 

I added elastic to the waist and the shoulders to improve the fit all over. This made it look much better.

O.K.! Now, I liked it! Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.



 

 
 
 
 



 












No comments: