Thursday, October 10, 2024

Crop A Button-down

 Hello Readers. I wanted to make a loose cropped shirt that tied in the front. I found this striped shirt at a clothes swap and it seemed perfect for this project. I went right to work.

Before and after. 

This was a men's shirt but it fit well enough. I loved the fall colors and stripes. 

I cut the bottom of the shirt off. I wanted the shirt to end at my waist. I didn't throw it away that extra fabric though. I wanted a waistband that would tie in the front. I would need to make that.

I cut that extra fabric into 2 narrow strips and connected them so it was as long as possible. I sewed it together with the right sides facing each other.

I had to turn the long waistband right side out. It was very wrinkled
so I ironed it flat.
 
Here is my long waistband now I need to connect it to the shirt. 
 
I wanted to match the stripes in the back of the shirt as best as possible. I took this to the serger. I sewed the long strip to the bottom of the shirt.
 
When the waistband was on, I could tie the shirt in front. I liked the finished look so...
 
I liked the shirt tied over this blue knit dress. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 

 

 

 







No comments: