Thursday, December 28, 2023

Ruffles for Dressember

 Hello Readers. I hope you are having a happy holiday season. I have been talking about the Dressember fundraiser all month. I have been wearing (And refashioning!) dresses all month to participate. I am on a team with my daughter. You can learn about our team here. It isn't difficult to participate, consider joining us next year. All you have to do is sign up and wear a dress. (Approx 75% of the victims of human trafficking are women. The dress is a symbol of those women.) 

This is my last refashion of 2023. It is a fun project to end the year on a cheerful note. I do not remember where I found this dress, it was from a thrift store or a clothes swap, I know that much. (Scavenging, that's how I roll.) 

Before and after.

This dress was too tight in the bodice but the ruffles! I had to save the ruffles! The only way to do that was to make this into a skirt. 

I cut the dress to remove the top. I left enough fabric to make a casing for some elastic. These ruffles are made of chiffon. I hate working with this fabric. It frays like crazy and slips around a lot. All I had to do was make the waistband so I tried to just get it done quickly. 
 
I put the edge of the chiffon through my serger to keep it from fraying. 
 
I put the elastic through the casing. I connected the ends of the elastic and then stitched the casing closed. You can see the lining of my new skirt here. It is a nice cotton knit material, like a t-shirt. Whoever made this didn't choose the cheapest nylon/polyester lining material they could find. They actually chose something comfortable! 
 
My new skirt is so fun! And it matched this flower pin that I have had for years and years and never wore. What a way to end the year. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 
***Year End Update- I caught a cold for Christmas so going out was not going to happen. I love these ruffles and they will be worn soon. 

 

 

 





No comments: