Monday, November 21, 2022

Making an Outdoor Space Look Cohesive

 Hello Readers. My backyard has gotten a lot of wear and tear over the years. 3 kids, 2 dogs, lots of friends will do that. I wanted to simplify and refresh the whole thing but I am not a decorator.

I thought that if I chose one color and made that color the focus, it would help everything work together. You can see I chose blue. I love blue, it's calm and peaceful. (Don't we all need that?) This deck is right off my kitchen which is also blue. I thought it would harmonize well. Before I spent any money I planned and searched online. Could I find everything I needed in coordinating shades of blue? I verified that before I bought anything.

I used to have metal patio furniture. The glass-topped table and chairs were green and they were fine at first but over time they got some marks and rust on them. I had sanded and painted them to make them last but we never ate at that table. When the table and chairs needed repainting again, I gave them away and started over. These blue chairs are a resin (Plastic!) and weigh a lot. I chose them because they can't shatter in a storm and they can't rust. I also bought the little matching table to hold my iced tea. I hope these will be maintenance free. I do not want to sand and repaint ever again. These chairs are more lounge chair styles and I thought that would work better for our life style. I found the rug at Wegman's when I wasn't even looking and it was half price. It went with my blue theme so I got it when I was buying groceries. (Link to something similar.)


I made sure to get an umbrella for some shade and I made sure it would coordinate with everything else. I went all out for this blue theme. The umbrella went in my old umbrella stand. I reused what I could to keep costs down.

We were given this kids picnic table and it was great for the deck. It was blue on the sides already so You can probably guess what I did.
 
That's right, I painted the table blue! I only had to paint the top and seats. This would be easy. I washed the table all over and made sure it was dry before painting. This paint said it would bond with plastic so I bought it.
 
I put on gloves and started spraying. I kept the can moving and tried to spray an even coat of paint. 
 
I covered the whole table and let it dry. Then I went back and checked for any spots I missed. 
 
The paint went on really well and the table looked great. It gets dragged around and used for all kinds of kid fun. I also use it as a foot rest sometimes too. 

Even on cloudy days everything looks good together. 
 
 We use it a lot. Even on chilly days. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. And your yard!
*Year End Note From Chickie- I love my blue backyard area. It looks so put together.

 

 

 




No comments: