Friday, November 4, 2022

Making a Peplum Top With a Scarf


 Hello Readers. I wanted to find a way to use this cool scarf. I loved the fall colors. I thought it would make a fun peplum top with this boring brown shirt. 

 
Before and after.
 
I found this vintage scarf at a clothes swap and I really liked the warm fall colors. Scarves never seam to look right on me so I decided to put this shirt and scarf together to make something fun. 
 
I started by cutting the shirt.
 
I cut about 8 inches from this shirt so I could add the scarf to the bottom. I also folded up the sleeves and marked in white where I wanted to make a new seam. I wanted shorter sleeves but I still wanted the cuff attached at the ends of the sleeves.

This was a men's shirt and I needed to shorten the sleeves. I decided to make the sleeves more of a 3/4 length. I stitched the cuff at a new length and cut off the excess.
 
I cut the extra fabric off the sleeves and turned the cuff down. It looked like a brand new sleeve.
 
I cut the scarf in half so I could attach half to the front and half to the back.
 
I put the right sides of the shirt and the scarf together and got to the sewing machine.
 
I used my serger to sew the scarf to the shirt. I sewed all the way around the shirt. 
 
The scarf made a little peplum at the bottom of the shirt. It is brighter and more colorful.
 
Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
*Year End Note From Chickie- I haven't worn this shirt again because I am afraid I will ruin it at work. I need to get over that and just enjoy it.

 

 

 

 





No comments: