Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Make These Jeans Bigger!

Hello Readers. How are you doing? To be completely honest, I have doing a lot of snacking and eating. I have eaten more potato chips in the past 2 weeks than anyone should eat in a year. And the cookies.... I love cookies. My jeans were getting a little uncomfortable in the waist because of all the snacks. I decided to make my jeans bigger. It's easier than you might think.

This picture is from Thanksgiving but it illustrates the problem I was having with the jeans. It also gives you an idea for an emergency fix for a tight waistband if you ever need it.

I began by cutting my jeans open along the outside seams.
 I just followed the seam on the out side of each leg and cut from the waist to the ankle. I cut right at the seam and that helped me keep a straight edge to my cuts. I cut the actual seam with all the stitches out and threw it away.

My next step is to insert something in the openings I just made. I decided to use ribbon. I had a box of it from my mother-in-law on hand. We are avoiding the stores. A thick ribbon is strong enough to handle being paired with denim. 
(I have tried strips of knit fabric before. It didn't hold up very long.)

After some thought I went neutral and chose gray and tan ribbon. I stitched the ribbon in the side of each leg from the ankle to the waist. You can add some needed breathing room to your jeans this way. The wider the ribbon you use, the more space you will add to your jeans.

 I was so much more comfortable in my slightly larger jeans. The stripes of color add some fun to the jeans too. A bold color would be a lot of fun too. Yes, I got out of my pajamas for a little while.

All kidding about snacks aside, I hope you are well. 
Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.





No comments: