Friday, February 8, 2019

The Love Shirt

Hello Readers. Valentine's Day is coming. Are you ready? Do you even get into this holiday? Not everyone does. I wanted to make something in the theme of the day, so I made a shirt. A love shirt.


 You got to meet this flannel shirt from a clothes swap in my last post. (Flannel Baby!) I used almost all of it in that post. So why are you seeing it again?


I removed this one pocket and saved it for this refashion. Just one pocket? That's right. I only needed a small piece of fabric for this project. I also needed a simple gray shirt and I have one on hand. (Thanks Jessica P.)


 The red and black flannel was perfect to make a heart to dress up this gray shirt.  I cut the heart out of the pocket and used iron on tape to hold it in place. Next. I used a zigzag stitch to secure it to the gray shirt. Then I did my painting.


I used some cheap cardboard stencils from my craft stash and some old red acrylic paint.

 
I held the stencils very still and used a sponge to dab the paint on the shirt. It was messy and when I was done my hands looked like I had committed a murder. The letters turned out great though. I tried to paint heavily because I knew it would fade a bit in the wash. 
(*I put a piece of cardboard inside the shirt to keep the paint from soaking through to the back of the shirt.)


I wanted to add a little something to the heart and some black embroidery thread was just the thing. It would look cute on top of the machine stitching. It adds a little home-spun touch.


Yes, that's me. Yes, I have a Valentine's Day wreath on my door. Yes, I do get into the holiday a little bit. Yes, I expect some kind of Valentine from my Valentine.
 And yes, I am hoping for some chocolate.

 I am still wearing the hat you saw last week. It's cold y'all. And I didn't do my hair. Like at all.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
  *Year end update-I still wear this shirt even when it isn't Valentine's Day.




No comments: