Wednesday, November 22, 2017

So Much Purple #1

Hello Readers. I am always collecting hand-me-downs and clothes swap finds that I can refashion. I am always trying to show that you don't need to spend a lot of money to have a fun wardrobe that fits really well. In my collecting I have found and saved quite a few purple items. I don't know why I kept them waiting but I realized recently that I needed to start working on the purple clothes before they took over my sewing area.  
 
 
I started with this purple top that my mom gave me. (Thanks Mom!) I liked the shirt, it was a nice eggplant purple. It was a great match to a cardigan my daughter had given me. The only problem is that the purple top was bigger than the cardigan. I needed to re-size it and the gray jeans needed help too. They fit in the hips and the backside but the waist was too big.

 
Let's start with the shirt. It was a nice heavy weight knit. I really liked it, it had a little sparkle too. I used the existing seams as a guide in marking new seams. Can I just sew new side seams like that? Sure I can, it's my shirt. It took a couple tries to make it small enough. It needs to be really fitted to wear under the cardigan. I sewed and tried it on and sewed some more.

 
The gray denim was very simple and classic. I really wanted to wear them but the waist was too big. I couldn't just add a belt to draw the waist in, it was too bulky and uncomfortable. It really needed to be smaller. I tried them on and marked how much smaller I wanted them. I again used the existing side seams as a guide for where to sew my new side seams. Can I really just make new side seams in denim just like that? Would they hold when I wore them out in public? Yes, and yes.
I did stitch over the new seams twice to make them strong and give myself some extra security.
I made them shorter too, of course.

 
Here are the finished clothes, the shirt works great under the cardigan now that it is smaller and more fitted. The jeans fit at the waist and I was ready to go. Go where you ask?

 
I went to a casual party with my hubby, you can guess the theme right? 

 
That is all for today. Don't be afraid to grab some clothes and make something fun for yourself.
There is more purple to come next time.

 

2 comments:

mycardattic said...

Your outfit looks great now! I love that photo at the end! LOL Thank you! Hazel x

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for commenting. It was a party for someone that had just joined law enforcement, so we all got wanted photos taken.
Chickie