Wednesday, October 5, 2016

The Tinfoil Superhero Shirt

Hello Readers. A tinfoil shirt? It sounds crazy, but trust me. It will all make sense very soon.


 I made a quick superhero shirt for my daughter. The restaurant she works at was having a superhero night and she wanted to wear a Captain America shirt. 

Here is what I had to work with. She had a blue shirt with an plastic/rubbery/vinyl applique/decal on the front. She had cut it down and tried to make a cute summer top. It didn't fit and it sat in a sewing pile for months. She had a plain gray shirt too. You can see what I was thinking right? I would just cut the Captain America shield off the blue shirt and sew it on the gray shirt. 

That was a huge fail. The gray shirt was so fine and stretchy It was impossible to work with. It was all puckered when I sewed them together. I didn't get a picture of the mess, sorry. I unpicked the stitches and removed it.

                                                                       Are those feet??? Oops.


It's time for - Plan B
I used some iron on tape and put pieces of it under the rubbery applique and planned to iron it on the gray shirt. How could I iron a rubbery plastic material without it melting and getting stuck to my iron?


I used some non-stick tin foil. I covered the shield and prayed I wouldn't ruin it. I went over it with the iron and when the iron on tape started to stick, I flipped the shirt over and ironed the back of the shirt and the hem tape melted and held on well. I kept the tin foil on until it all cooled down. The decal came out a bit more shiny, but looked great.


Here is my daughter in her shirt with Superman.


And this is my little guy and I, we stopped by to eat dinner. I am not sure he knew what was going on but he looked cute in his Superman pajamas. I wore a Spider-man shirt I found at a clothes swap recently. I knew it would come in handy for something.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.


No comments: