Hello Readers. It is really summer now and I am working on new tops for hot weather. My project started today started as a night shirt. I assumed it was a night shirt. It was very light weight and the weave was a lacy and open in places. It was very large so I needed to address that too.
I took a little off the straps and some out of the sides. I cut the excess off with pinking shears to help with fraying. That made it smaller but it is still too sheer. I can't go out in a see-thru shirt, I'm not a pop star. I need real clothes.
I decided to line this top with a dark purple T-shirt I had. The T-shirt was a little worn out but it would make a great contrast to the light purple. It had a large round neckline just like the nightshirt. I attached the two with my sewing machine. I followed the seam on the nightshirt and stitched over it. I did the same thing with the arm holes and cut off the excess T-shirt.
Here you can see the two shirts are attached but the night shirt is much too long. I like the outer shirt to cover the under shirt, but this is way too long.
I cut off a few inches from the bottom. That made the length work. That cut was right in the middle of the two front pockets.
I removed the two pockets. It would make the lines of this new peasant top cleaner and simpler. This top will be loose and the pockets would just add unneeded detail and look too clunky.
Here is my finished top. I like the loose comfortable fit and the light weight fabric should be great for the heat of summer. You can't really see the dark purple T-shirt underneath from a distance. Up close you can see it through the lacy parts of the fabric.
Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.