Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Jail Stripes Shirt

Hello Readers. I was given this cool shirt from my cool sister-in-law. (Thanks J.) I really liked it but it needed some help with the fit. I had my teen son take the before picture and he said something about me making a prison break. (Thanks son.) That comment inspired the dye job you see in the picture below.


The shirt is long and the sleeves are REALLY long on me. I found these skinny jeans on clearance for $3. Seriously $3! My daughter got a pair too. The jeans were too long so I had to work on them too. I liked how they looked with the shirt so I put them together in this post.


I wanted a blue-green color so I used a bottle of each when I dyed the shirt. I used really hot water and both bottles of dye. 

 

It made a very strong dye bath and I stirred the shirt in the dye for 10 minutes. After the dye bath, I washed the shirt twice to remove the excess dye.


I made the shirt short sleeves and I used some elastic to make a waistband. I just folded the shirt in and stitched all the way around to make a casing for the elastic. I used narrow elastic and it made a soft comfortable waist.


I quickly cut the legs off and rolled the ends up. I wanted little cuffs on the jeans. I put a few stitches in the cuffs to keep them in place.


I was ready to go out to dinner with some friends and my husband.


We went for Mexican food, took selfies, and ate a lot of tortilla chips and...


Look at this yummy creation. Mmmm!


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.



No comments: