Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Making A Cardigan Sweater

Hello Readers. I liked the colors of this shirt and sweater together but the sweater covered all the pretty flowers on the shirt. 


I decided to make this sweater into a cardigan. I cut straight up the middle. I used the weave of the sweater as a guide for my cutting. The edges were a little rough and I was afraid they would fray.


I decided to used ribbon to finish the raw edges. I used my sewing machine to attach it to the front of the raw edge and then turned it under and stitched it down again. It covered the fraying edge nicely.


I like this sweater as an open cardigan but look at the wonky new seams I made. The ribbon was too heavy and it doesn't lay nicely at all. This is looking pretty bad. It's time for Plan B.



**PLAN B**

I cut off those new seams. It looks off-center, but trust me it is even. I used the weave of the sweater as a guide for my cutting again.


I decided to simply fold the edge under. I was going to do something I hate to do, sew by hand with  a needle and thread. I try to avoid hand sewing but it only took about 5 minutes to do both sides. I don't know why I hate hand sewing but I really do.


I was finally ready to wear this combo out in public. The open sweater is more comfortable ans less restrictive than a pullover style sweater. After this picture I headed to class.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

No comments: