Thursday, April 14, 2016

Poncho Problems

Hello Readers. I wanted to show you this simple fix for a turtleneck poncho. One of my wonderful sisters-in-law passed this poncho down to me. (Thanks J!) It is warm and cozy but the neck made me feel like this. I don't like turtlenecks of any kind. It's like they want to strangle me. But I loved this sweater and it's (STILL!) cold out there.


I decided to try to make the turtleneck into a big collar. I wasn't sure it would work. If it didn't I was going to remove the whole thing. I found the middle in the front and used the knit lines as a guide. Would it fray and become a terrible mess? No, it actually looked great.


It had a seam around the neck hole and I didn't cut through that. It helps the poncho hold its shape. If I cut through it it would stretch out and slide off my shoulders. It looks a bit lopsided in the photo, I moved my arms back and shifted the poncho around. It is even and still nice and warm.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

3 comments:

jenny_o said...

Turtlenecks are something I avoid at all costs due to the strangling thing. It's a real thing! :)

I am intrigued that the cut edge didn't ravel. I wonder what will happen when it is washed? A zigzag over the edge wouldn't be hard to do, I think. Or a piece of bias tape? It definitely looks good as a collar instead of a tube.

I Can Work With That said...

Hello Jenny_o. The poncho is dry clean only wool, so I have never "washed" it. It hasn't had any problems with unraveling yet. I am watching it to make sure it holds up over time.

I Can Work With That said...
This comment has been removed by the author.