Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Button-Down Two; The Lacy White One

Hello Readers. This is the second button-down shirt refashion. I have been holding on to a few of them and decided to try several different refashions. I like to try out different ideas. They don't always work out well but you never know if you don't try.


 This white shirt is beautiful quality and it is in great condition. But it's too big and the arms are too long. I have another white button-down shirt so this one can become something else.


I decided to remove the sleeves and make a summer top that will be good in hot weather. I cut off the collar and then the shoulders too. I ended up with a basic tube top. It was at this point that I realized I have made this shape top before but it was too late to change plans.


I wanted to make the top a little different so I am going to use this wide lace as straps. I am hoping it looks feminine and sweet. I am hoping I don't look like a pudgy middle-aged Daisy Duke.  I guess we'll see what happens.


I folded the top edge down twice and made a new finished top seam. I tried threading elastic through the top to draw it in, but it made the top really puffy. It was not flattering at all. This fabric didn't drape well. I looked like a big marshmallow. Instead I took in the sides a bit and made a fitted tube. I pinned the lace in place, made sure everything was even (It's not in this picture.) and stitched it on with my sewing machine.


Here is the finished top. It was a pretty simple project and white tops are great to throw on. No matter what you are wearing with it, it will match. I think I would have liked this top more if the material had not been as heavy. The quality was almost "too good", if that's possible. I wanted it to drape and it is not that kind of fabric. I made it a straight tube and that worked much better.


It was good to wear casually (When you paint your nails, you can see I am letting them dry in the picture below.) or to a sushi dinner with friends. 


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.




No comments: