Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Cargo Pants With A Touch Of Satin

Hello Readers. I love the changing seasons. Whatever season is coming next is my current favorite. The cooler weather means I need some pants that fit or I will be freezing on cold  Fall and Winter days.


I was given these light khaki pants and they still had the tags on them! Brand new pants for me. (Thanks Becky!) As you can see they were miles too long. They are very soft and I liked the fit everywhere else. Clearly, I need about 10 more inches of leg to make them work as is.


These are casual but have touches of satin trim. I am easily distracted by shiny things so, of course, I love them. There was a tie/belt, a loop (for my hammer?) and some trim on the side pockets.


My first step was to take a pair of similar pants and use them as a guide. I put the legs together and marked where I needed to hem. I left extra so I could turn them under twice and sew them up. Don't use the waistband as your guide. Use just the leg for measurement, starting at the crotch seam. Every pair of pants will have a slightly different rise, using the waistband as your starting point could really mess this up.


I narrowed the legs a bit. These were a really wide leg and it was too much for my short legs to deal with. I narrowed them and shortened them fairly quickly.


When I was done, I went for a walk with this little guy. He is super cute and very sweet but I don't think he cared one bit about my new pants. Oh, well.


After wearing them for a little while I got annoyed with the belt. It just hung there and seemed weird. I used it at the bottom of each leg. It tied in with the satin trim already on the pockets and loop. It was so pretty, I couldn't bear to waste it.  


Thank you for reading, now go make something fabulous for yourself.