Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Revisiting An Old Dress

Hello Readers. We are flashing back to an old refashion today. I used the top of this dress to make a dress back in June. (You can see it here.)
The original dress was in great shape and was made of nice fabric but the floor length didn't suit me. I don't like to waste fabric so today's post is about what I did with the rest of this denim dress.


I had the long skirt part of the dress left. I saved it in my stash until now. I always try not to waste anything. There was a lot of dress here that I could still use for something, right? I could not decide what to do with this for a long time.


This piece of denim was almost a skirt already so (Eventually!) I just went with it and made a skirt. It was the easy way to go, but that's OK. Quick easy projects are great. 
That is my dog on the right. He doesn't like to be alone, so he follows me from room to room. He is napping as usual.


I decided to use the lower part of the skirt so I could save the hem. They did such a great job making this hem, why should I do it over? I decided to make a classic denim skirt that comes just below my knees.


There was one problem with the front of this skirt. The buttons down the front are nice but that opening will be too high now that I made the skirt shorter. I took one of the buttons from the scrap piece and I sewed it on by hand. It will keep the skirt closed, and I can get the skirt on and off with it in place permanently at the bottom. All the other buttons open and close.


Here is a look at the skirt. The top buttons can open to get the skirt on and off. I used what was there and kept it simple. That made this refashion fast and easy to complete. It was also cheap because I didn't buy anything but thread. (Cheap is great too!)
I kept this skirt at a conservative length, just below the knee.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- This skirt wasn't very exciting but it was comfortable and really easy to wear. It always seems to go with everything. And it is never too casual or too dressy.

No comments: