Friday, April 20, 2018

The School Marm Dress


 Hello Readers. I found a dress that is too juvenile and yet makes me look really old at the same time.

Here is a look at the front and back of this amazing dress. It looks like what I would call a jumper, a shapeless dress for a little girl. The straps make me think of a school uniform. But it also looks like an old granny dress. I felt old just trying it on. 
So, why did I even bother with this dress? The fabric was some of the nicest I have ever worked with. It was a super soft warm wool blend. That would be nice because we are not having Spring where I live. We are just continuing with winter until the end of time apparently.


This dress had a side zipper and I didn't want to take it out and/or put it back in. That meant I couldn't take the sides in on this dress, so how would I alter it? I decided to take it in in the back, right down the center. Lots of dresses have a seam down the back, it would work for this dress too.


My finished dress is on the left. The piece of fabric on the right is what I took out of the back of this dress to make it more fitted. I also made it shorter at the bottom. I thought shorter would be more flattering and less school marm.


I needed a white shirt to wear under it. I don't own a white T-shirt. I should, but I don't. I had this cropped shirt in my refashion stash. The chances of me wearing a cropped shirt and letting the world see my mommy tummy are less than 0%. I was just saving this shirt to use for spare parts. It would be great to wear under this dress if it was less baggy.  


The sleeves of this white top fit well, so I just made the body more narrow. I wanted it to be fitted under the dress.


I think this shorter more fitted dress is a lot nicer than the original. It is still a jumper style dress but I like it so much better.

Just a side note: I found out that my phone has a feature to lengthen legs in photos. From now on you can assume all my photos are altered to make me look taller.

Thanks for reading this post, now go make something fun for yourself. 

*Year end update- I still wear this dress with the white shirt. I wore it last week.

2 comments:

Classic Petunia said...

Ha-ha. Longer legs, funny! I’m not sure my phone has that feature. Cute refashion.

I Can Work With That said...

I was super excited when I found it. I could be tall. if only it was real!
Chickie