Thursday, February 23, 2017

The Witch Dress

Hello Readers. I hope you are well. I am enjoying a few days of Spring-like weather in my area. Daffodils are blooming and the window in my sewing area is letting in some fresh air. 

I have been working on two pieces for today's post. The first is a black dress. It fit well but it makes me think of a witch. The second item is a pair of stretchy trousers with a broken zipper.


Here is the dress. It fits but it is very dark and severe looking. The sleeves are slit and open from the elbow to the wrist. It makes the dress more interesting but the color and the sleeves remind me of a witch. The sleeves flap around dramatically and I thought I should leave them the way they were just for something different.


I cut the dress in a high-low style just for fun. I cut the bottom of the dress off. It is a heavy knit and it didn't fray at all. I thought I was done. I put the shirt on and wore it for about two hours. 


But then...I sensed that my little guy had a dirty diaper and of course as his mommy I cleaned him up. I can't tell you how annoying it is to wrestle with a toddler who doesn't like diaper changes with these long sleeve flaps dangling in the way. I immediately made the decision to close the sleeves and make them more wearable. I don't have time for this kind of drama in my life.


Here is the closed sleeve and the new hemline on the shirt. I saw that the heavy knit didn't fray at all. I left the raw cut edge at the hem. It was lighter and had more movement that it would have if I folded it over and made a thicker hem.


The second piece I altered for myself was a pair of charcoal gray dress pants/trousers with an elastic waistband. They were baggy, stretchy, soft and the zipper was broken. The high waist came up to my chest almost. I like high waists but this was too much. They were so stretchy I wasn't sure why there was a zipper at all. If they are stretchy and the waist is elastic I could just pull them on, right?


That was my plan, make them fit and hope that the elastic would stretch over my backside so I could pull them on. I took quite a bit out of the inner legs a crotch to bring the waist down to my true waist. I also took some excess off the sides along with that broken zipper. I shortened them a little too.

I went over the new seams twice for safety.

I wore everything to the allergists office. With  Spring comes pollen unfortunately and I will be a sneezing mess. (WOW! That is not exciting at all is it?)

These pants are like control top pants with all this elastic. BONUS!!

Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

No comments: