Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The Floor Length Floral

Hello Readers. How are you today? I hope you are well and safe and happy where ever you are. My project today is a very long floral dress. It is probably not as long as it looks, I am very short. This dress caught my eye last winter at a clothes swap and it has been waiting for a hot summer day. Now is the time for sure, it is roasting out there. This dress is a nice light weight silk and it will do nicely in the heat. Silk breathes really well so it won't make me overheat. 


I spread the dress out and cut off the bottom 18" or so. I got next to the dress and tried to cut it off so it would be at my knee when I was finished making a new hem. Sorry, no picture of my highly technical way of measuring. Just picture a short woman next to this dress using her knee as a guide for where to cut.


I removed these shoulder pads. I don't want them anymore. My shoulders aren't very muscular, but I am OK with that. I think these are a little silly and I always remove them when I find them in a garment.


I stitched a new hem on my machine in just a few minutes. I used this flat iron to press the new hem. It was silk so I used the low setting. It worked very well. (I hate to iron so I avoid it when I can.)

That's my foot!

I wore this dress to an outdoor antique market called Chartreuse & Company in Frederick, MD. It was great!


***BONUS TRACK***

I still had a big silk circle from the bottom of this dress. It was fairly large and very nice silk. I couldn't throw it away!


I tucked the raw edge under the hemmed edge and stitched it down. It only took a few minutes to sew all the way around the circle. 


I had a new silk infinity scarf. It helped dress up a plain casual outfit.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

2 comments:

jenny_o said...

Pretty! And I love your "highly technical" method for measuring :)

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Jenny-o. Haha, glad you like my crazy technique.