Wednesday, July 4, 2018

T-shirt Mania 3; Independence Day

Hello Readers. Today's post is in honor of the 4th of July. I found this fun novelty t-shirt and thought it would make a fun July 4th outfit. I have always been a little partial to Superman and it says America across the front. That is perfect for America's birthday right? 


This shirt was actually a men's shirt, so it was plenty big and long. I cut the body away from the sleeves and neckline. I also cut off the lower hemline. I folded the shirt in half before cutting it so both sides would be exactly the same. Or close to it anyway.


The shirt is now straight across the top and diagonal at the sides where the arm holes will be.


I folded the sides in and stitched them down to make a nice finished edge. Next, I folded the top down and made a casing at the top edge. The back of the shirt was done the same exact way.


I took the finished edge that I cut from the bottom of the shirt. I cut the stitching off so the strip of fabric was more narrow and stretchy.


I threaded it through the casing in the front and back of the shirt and tied a bow. The width at the top is totally adjustable so it is easy to get the right fit in the front, back, and under the arms too. I didn't take the shirt in anywhere, I wanted that loose fit.
I hemmed the bottom so it had a finished hem.


I liked the high adjustable neckline and how easy it was to make the shirt fit the way I wanted around the arms. This will be a great shirt for getting some sun  at a pool or picnic. (Just kidding, I am too pale to tan. I usually hide out in the shade.)


Thanks for reading this post, now go make something fun for yourself.

*Year end update- It is very hot and humid in my area during summer, this shirt was perfect. I still like it and I will wear it when it is hot again.

No comments: