Thursday, January 26, 2017

Sweaters and Skinny Jeans 3

Hello Readers. How are you today? This is part three of my series of sweaters and skinny jeans. This gray sweater is crazy, fuzzy, and way too big. It is the kind of thing I love to find at clothes swaps and thrift stores. I have never seen anything like it anywhere. It made me want to refashion it into something more wearable. I love a challenge.


Look at all this fuzzy goodness. How could I resist trying to make this sweater my own? I briefly considered making a Muppet costume but decided against it.


I put the sweater on my dress form inside out. I started pinning the sides so I could figure out how much I needed to take it in. I used some hem tape to make it easier to stitch through this gauze thin knit sweater. I knew my sewing machine wouldn't handle this material well. (It's been acting up.) I made the sweater more narrow by removing some fabric from each side. I made the arms more narrow too. 


Here is a picture of one side after I cut off the excess. I intended to cut off the sheer lower fabric and leave the seam so it would be easy to finish the bottom hem. I accidentally cut off part of the lower seam and had to cut the whole sweater all the way around to make it even. Oops! I was really disappointed in my carelessness. I had to make a new hem at the bottom of the sweater and I had to stitch it by hand. All the fuzz would be difficult to sew through with a machine. It only took a few minutes of hand sewing though. I need to suck it up and stop whining about hand sewing. (And probably some other things too.)


These sleeves already had these little buttons and straps (Actual name unknown to me.) to hold the sleeves up. After I narrowed the sleeves to a better fit I liked the look of these so I left them untouched.


These white jeans were a hand-me-down. White is a little surprise in the winter but this denim is heavy and thick. I liked the fit in the waist and the hips but the legs were much too long. I wanted to make more skinny jeans (It is the theme of these posts after all.) I used a pair of jeans with a good fit as a pattern to decide how much to remove from the legs of these white jeans. As usual I went over the new side seam twice for security. 

These jeans were still too long and I shortened them even more. 

This new outfit is more wearable now. The sweater is a more classic shape but it is still unique and fuzzy.  It looks more appropriate, it fits better, and I am not lost behind all that sweater. The jeans are simple and classic and I can tuck them into my boots for warmth and to keep them white pants out of puddles and winter slush. 


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.


4 comments:

carmen said...

Bravissima, ottimo lavoro!!

I Can Work With That said...

Molto gratzie!
Chickie

jenny_o said...

That sweater is just so cute and fuzzy! It looks great with white jeans, too. That's not a colour combination I would have ever thought to try, but it really works.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks jenny_o! I am into gray this winter, maybe because it has been so cloudy and overcast. I have some more gray pieces coming too.
Chickie